According to Prof Tawana Kupe the Convener of the Independent Judging panel of the Discovery Health Journalism Awards “We are pleased to report that in general the entries this year were all of high quality and an improvement over the previous years. We believe this might mean that the quality of reporting on health issues is improving”.
The Discovery Health Journalism Awards ceremony will take place in Johannesburg on 29 May 2013. This is the fifth year these awards will be held.
Finalists in each category
Best Health News reporting
1. Tamar Kahn, Business Day, SA drugs sector blow as red tape snares trials
2. Katharine Child, The Times, The Times, Life-saving Drug on Hold
3. Zinhle Mapumulo, City Press, Series of articles on the TB epidemic
Best Health Television reporting
1. Amalia Christoforou and Wynand Grobler, Carte Blanche, Smart Drugs
2. Amalia Christoforou, Carte Blanche, Cloned skin for burnt toddler
3. Paula Chowles, eNCA, Toxic ARVs
4. Eugene Botha , Carte Blanche, Therapeutic Brainfreeze
Best Health Radio journalism
1. Sisi Segalo, SABC Radio, Health Burden of migrant mine workers in SA
2. Ayanda Mkwananzi, Health-e News Service for SAFM, I am now a conqueror
3. Unathi Binqose, SAFM, Forgotten community of Chintsa
Best Health Analysis and commentary
1. Zinhle Mapumulo, City Press, Why our kids need sex education
2. Anso Thom, Health-e News Service for Cape Times & The Star, One doctor where there should be 14
3. Antoinette Pienaar, Beeld , Etiek van Stamselle
Best Health Economics Journalism
1. Andile Makholwa, Financial Mail, Medical Schemes: More Fat than Muscle?
2. Tamar Kahn, Business Day, Rising Fees at Public Hospitals
3. Zinhle Mapumulo, City Press, What you should pay your GP
Best Investigative Health journalism
1. Estelle Ellis and Eugene Coetzee, The Herald, A Right gone Wrong
2. Tamar Kahn, Business Day, Anxious time for HIV patients as US cuts Aid
Best Health journalism: Foreign Media
1. Darren Taylor, Voice of America, The Near-Absence of Health Care Delivery in Rural South Africa
2. Tiisetso Motsoeneng, Thomson Reuters, African alcohol binge raises pressure for crackdown
Best Healthy Lifestyle feature
1. Lydia Van Der Merwe, SARIE, Die Goggas in Jou Maag
2. Lindsay Ord, Daily News, Barefoot Running ... is less really more
Best Health Consumer reporting and feature writing
1. Colette Du Plessis, Baba & Kleuter, TB and your child
2. Lori Cohen, Women's Health, Is Laughter the Best Medicine?
3. Mia Malan, Mail and Guardian, Rural hospitals in terminal crisis
loveLife Young Health Journalist of the Year
1. Fathima Simjee, , Health-e News Service for Special Assignment, SABC 3, Hidden Epidemic
2. Ina Skosana, New Age, Abused Woman Bear the Brunt
3. Gotlhokwang Angoma, Women’s Health, Do you see yourself as you really are?