Press release -
Discovery Health Tracker February 2013
Total hospital costs for February were R1 038 million. Some of the major driversof the high-cost admissions were:
- Transplants, including heart and lung, and liver transplants – the average costs for these transplants range from R721 000t R1.78 million
- ICU care for premature babies – average cost of R680 000- Long term ventilation – average cost of R639 000
- Of the top 10 highest hospital costs paid in February 2013, six relate to long-term ventilation totalling R12.4 million(60% of Top 10 costs)
- The highest cost for February 2013 was R2.4 million for an 81-year old patient that has inborn errors of metabolismand has been admitted for more than 141 days.
Lens procedures were the most common reason for admission (2 921), followed by digestive system diagnoses (2 888)and caesareans (2 596). The total cost for the top 10 admission conditions amounted to R211 million.
Discovery Health has over 331 556 registered members on the Chronic Illness Benefit and in total R1.76 billion was paid forchronic medicine over the past year. Hypertension remains the highest registered chronic condition, with 250 312 members,compared to the next highest condition of hyperlipidaemia with 139 124 registered members and asthma with 80 802.
The Oncology Programme has grown in both costs and enrolled members. For February 2013, R203 million was spenton 34 340 oncology members.
Glucose testing was the number one Vitality screening test among members with 45 291 screenings completed during February.
Discovery is an authorised financial services provider.
Discovery operates in the healthcare cover market in South Africa, the United Kingdom and China; the life assurance market in South Africa and the United Kingdom; as well as the long-term savings and investment market, and short-term insurance market in South Africa.
Vitality, Discovery’s wellness programme, is the world’s largest scientific, incentive-based wellness solution. It provides individual and corporate wellness initiatives in South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and China. The global Vitality membership base now exceeds 3.4 million lives.
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier, and to enhance and protect their lives through financial products that clients need and want.
South African operations
- Launched in 1992, Discovery Health isSouth Africa’s largest healthcare funder and manager of medical schemes. It manages 14 medical schemes.
- This includes the Discovery Health Medical Scheme, which has a 50% share in the open medical schemes market, making it South Africa’s largest open medical scheme.
- Discovery Health covers more than 2.6 million lives.
- The Scheme is the only one in South Africa to enjoy an AA+ rating for its claims paying ability, the highest possible credit rating from international rating agency Global Credit Ratings.
- The Discovery Health Medical Scheme holds over R7.4 billion in reserves.
- Discovery Health pioneered consumer-driven healthcare in South Africa with the introduction of innovations like the Medical Savings Account and its wellness programme, Vitality.
- Discovery Health is continuously innovating new products and tools to enhance the quality of care members receive, including HealthID, an iPad-based application for doctors launched in 2012.
- Discovery Health was voted the top medical aid brand in the Sunday Times Top Brands survey for both 2010 and 2011.
- Discovery Health was voted the top healthcare product supplier at the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA) Awards.
- In 2012, the PricewaterhouseCoopers fifth biennial Strategic and Emerging Issues in South African Insurance survey rated Discovery Health’s insurance products as the leader in the industry.
- Discovery Life was launched in 2000 and is South Africa’s fastest growing major life assurer in the risk market, having captured 25% of the overall risk broker market.
- It was the first South African insurer to separate risk from investment, leading significant change in the industry.
- With 364 887 individual policies, the embedded value of its business is now more than R17 billion including Discovery Invest.
- Discovery Life addresses the problem of underinsurance through its unique integrated operating model and through innovative product development.
- Discovery Life was voted the top life assurer in the Sunday Times Top Brands survey for both 2010 and 2011.
- Discovery Life was voted the top risk and life assurance supplier at the 2010 Financial Intermediaries’ Association of Southern Africa (FIA) Awards and the top long-term insurer: recurring savings at the 2011 and 2012 FIA Awards.
- In 2012, the PricewaterhouseCoopers fifth biennial Strategic and Emerging Issues in South African Insurance survey rated Discovery Life’s life products as the leader in the industry.
- Discovery Invest was launched in October 2007 and declared its maiden profit in 2010.
- Discovery Invest combines the breadth and skill of the asset management industry with the existing research and development capabilities of Discovery Life.
- The company offers consumers a unique and comprehensive product range that addresses the current gaps in the market by offering greater protection against poor investment choices.
- With 74 327policies, Discovery Invest now has more than R26.6 billion in assets under management.
- Through Discovery Invest’s LISP platform, clients have access to over 329 local and 65 offshore investment funds.
- Discovery Invest is now the largest writer of endowment policies in South Africa with a 21% market share.
- In 2011, Discovery Invest received the Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA) award for best recurring premium business.
- Discovery Insure was launched in May 2011 and now has 27 973 policyholders.
- This pioneering product was created by leveraging the behavioural
expertise developed in the Vitality programme with the latest telematics
- The unique Vitalitydrive programme encourages and rewards better driving
behaviour and ensuring that vehicles are roadworthy.
- At the heart of Vitalitydrive is the DQ-Track telematics device that measures
and reports crucial aspects of driving behaviour.
- Vitalitydrive provides up to 50% fuel rewards on clients’ monthly BP fuel
- Young adults between 18 and 25 can receive further discounts of up to 25%
on their motor premiums.
- Discovery Insure offers comprehensive vehicle, personal and household
- Launched in 1997, Vitality is
Discovery’s science-based wellness programme that underpins each of the
Discovery businesses and is an international brand in its own right.
- It is the largest programme of
its kind in the world.
- Vitality encourages healthy
behaviours that reduce long-term healthcare costs by rewarding members for
improving their health.
- There are now more than 1.6
million Vitality members in South Africa.
- Vitality is accredited by the
Sports Science Institute of South Africa.
- The Vitality value offering is enhanced by the DiscoveryCard, Discovery’s
unique Visa credit card which gives members real cash back.
- Launched in 2004, the DiscoveryCard is the largest non-bank card in
issue, with an 8.9% share of point-of-sales spend. There are now 231 302
- The HealthyLiving™ benefit offers Vitality
members up to 25% cash back on HealthyCare™ products at Clicks, HealthyGear™ at
adidas and TotalSports stores, and HealthyFood™ items at Pick n Pay.
- Vitality now has the ability to integrate
into over 100 fitness tracking technologies.
In the UK, Discovery has a 75% shareholding in a joint venture with Prudential plc. Through PruHealth and PruProtect, the company offers healthcare cover and protection products.
- Launched in 2004, PruHealth is the fourth largest private medical insurer in the UK and the only one that rewards people for leading a healthy lifestyle.
- PruHealth now covers 548 970 lives.
- It offers consumer-directed products linked to the Vitality wellness programme.
- In 2010, Discovery acquired Standard Life Healthcare, thereby leveraging the significant assets of both companies and resulting in greater scale for PruHealth.
- PruHealth has won several awards for its product innovations.
- PruProtect, which was launched in
2007, markets consumer-engaged life assurance products in the UK market.
- The company’s products integrate
with those of PruHealth and Vitality to unlock added value and significant
premium savings for clients.
- The company has become a major
player in the UK protection market. With 136 164 policies in force, it now
covers 163 566 lives.
- PruProtect has received industry
recognition, including awards in four categories at the 2011 Defacto Awards.
The company was also named Best Individual Protection Provider in 2011 by
Professional Adviser, and walked off with the Innovation Award at the 2011
The Vitality Group
Vitality Group was launched in 2007 and offers a stand-alone version of the
Vitality programme to self-insured, large employer groups and to healthcare
- Discovery holds a 75% share in
The Vitality Group, 25% being held by Humana Inc.
- The Vitality Group now covers
293 674 lives.
- The Vitality Group has entered
into a partnership with Wellness and Prevention, a subsidiary of
Johnson&Johnson, the world’s premier consumer health company.
- The Vitality Group recently
announced a partnership with ADP, one of the world’s largest providers of
payroll and employee benefits administration solutions.
2011, the group was awarded the C Everett Koop National Health Award for its
work with Alcon Laboratories, a highly prestigious award recognising
outstanding workplace health improvement programmes.
in 2011, HumanaVitality is a joint venture between Humana Inc and Discovery
(through The Vitality Group) that makes Vitality available to Humana clients
with commercial medical plans.
- Discovery holds a 25% share in
- Humana is the third largest US insurer, based on revenue. Humana has
approximately 11.8 million medical
members and 7.7 million
now has more than 1.5 million Vitality members.
Ping An Health
- Ping An Health was launched in China in 2010, after Discovery acquired a
20% share in Ping An Health Insurance Co of China Ltd, a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China.
- Ping An Insurance is China’s leading insurer and the second largest in
- The joint venture will see Discovery’s product innovation and
consumer-engaged model exported to a potential market of 83 million families.
- Vitality was launched in China through Ping An Health in May 2012.