Press release -
Discovery Bank launches TapToGive virtual card campaign to support sports development in South Africa
Johannesburg, 18 September 2023 – As we celebrate Heritage Month in South Africa, Discovery Bank today announced the launch of a unique virtual card campaign to help promote sports development locally and showcase their advanced digital payment functionality.
Between now and end November 2023, each time a client uses their virtual card for 50 in-store payments, Discovery Bank will donate one rugby ball or netball on their behalf to support sports development locally. Clients can also show their support by using a free, limited-edition TapToGive virtual card on their banking app.
“We’ve seen how sport has the remarkable ability to unite our nation,” says Hylton Kallner, CEO of Discovery Bank. “Given our shared-value banking model which is designed to benefit our clients, Discovery Bank and the broader South African society, we’re thrilled at a chance to showcase the safety and convenience of making tap-and-go payments from your digital wallet – and simultaneously to enable supporters across the country to take small actions that will result in developing sports at a grassroots level.”
Beneficiaries of Discovery Bank’s virtual card campaign include:
- Tag Rugby® Association – a non‑profit, public benefit organisation registered with the Department of Social Development and an Associate Member of the South African Rugby Union (SARU) that develops grassroots youth sport programs.
- VUKA Rugby – a sustainable rugby programme developed by the South African Rugby Legends (SARLA), in partnership with SARU, that aims to develop and promote rugby in disadvantaged communities and areas where it is not being played.
- South African Deaf Rugby Association – an associate member of SARU that supports deaf and hard‑of‑hearing youth, men and women, and creates opportunities for them to play rugby regionally and internationally.
- Dreamfields – a non-profit organisation that uses the power of sport – including finding and coaching the next generation of netball stars – to create better schools, more opportunities and stronger communities in rural areas and townships across the country.
- Netball South Africa – the governing body for netball in South Africa which is responsible for overseeing the practice of the sport across the country.
Kallner adds: “From historic moments of national pride to everyday gatherings around a match, sport serves to build healthier individuals, empower communities, and bring our diverse nation together in pursuit of common goals. If you’re not yet a Discovery Bank client, you can open an account in seconds, add a free virtual card that lets you start transacting straight away – and support our TapToGive campaign - and join us in making our children healthier while celebrating our South African heritage and shared love of sport.”
About Discovery Bank
Discovery Bank is part of Discovery Limited, a financial services organization that operates in the healthcare, life assurance, short-term insurance, savings and investment and wellness in over 40 markets. Discovery Bank is fundamentally designed differently through its shared-value model. Clients create value as they manage their money well that Discovery Bank shares back with them through better interest rates, deep discounts and significant rewards. The overall outcome is that clients experience greater financial wellbeing, it reduces the risk of defaults for Discovery Bank making the business more sustainable, and it addresses large-scale challenges, such as increased savings, that benefit society at large. Behaviour change and rewards are enabled through Vitality Money, an AI-Powered programme on the Discovery Bank app that which gives clients an understanding of behaviours that influence their financial wellbeing and how to manage their money. The better clients do, the higher their Vitality Money status and the greater the value they receive.